January 11, 2018
- Score: No. 5 Loras College 28; No. 21 Stevens Institute of Technology 16
- Location: Wellness & Recreation Center – Dubuque, Iowa
- Short Story: The 21st-ranked Stevens Institute of Technology wrestling team earned victories in four different weight classes in building a seven-point lead before No. 5 Loras College rallied late to earn a 28-16 dual meet victory Thursday evening.
- Of note: Tonight marked the first-ever dual between the programs.
- Dual Records: No. 5 Loras:10-0; No. 21 Stevens: 5-3
- How it happened: Loras earned the dual-opening victory at 285 pounds. The Ducks responded with wins at 125 pounds,133 pounds and 141 pounds to take a 12-4 lead. Junior Joey Borai (125) and freshman Brett Kaliner (141) each earned decision victories, while sophomore Troy Stanich won via pin. Loras responded with a technical fall at 149 pounds to trim the Stevens lead. Senior Zach Wilhelm earned a major decision victory at 157 pounds to give the Ducks a 16-9 advantage, however Loras earned two falls and a major over the final four bouts to win the dual.
- Winning Ways: Stanich, the nation’s No. 1 wrestler at 133 pounds, extended his 2017-18 unbeaten streak to 15 with a pinfall victory over Frankie Indelli.
- 285# – No. 6 Quin Gilliam (LOR) over Joseph Moreno (SIT) (MD 15-3); Loras leading 4-0
- 125# – Joey Borai (SIT) over Matt Randone (LOR) (Dec 3-1); Loras leading 4-3
- 133# – No. 1 Troy Stanich (SIT) over Frankie Indelli (LOR) (Fall 4:41); Stevens leading 9-4
- 141# – No. 1 Brett Kaliner (SIT) over Kevin Kelly (LOR) (Dec 6-2); Stevens leading 12-4
- 149# – No. 2 Jimmy Davis (LOR) Dylan Van Sickell (SIT) (TF 15-0 3:35); Stevens leading 12-9
- 157# – No. 6 Zach Wilhelm over Merrick Purcell (LOR) (MD 15-2); Stevens leading 16-9
- 165# – Eddie Smith (LOR) over Stephen Friedman (SIT) (Fall 2:21); Stevens leading 16-15
- 174# – Sam Schuler (LOR) over Zachary Kovacs (SIT) (Dec 5-1); Loras leading 18-16
- 184# – Awais Arain (LOR) over Bruce Parola (SIT) (MD 16-5); Loras leading 22-16
- 197# – No. 3 Guy Patron Jr. (LOR) over Colin Myles (Fall 0:53); Loras leading 28-16
- Rankings are NWCA
From the Mats
- “Matches are won and lost on bonus points: we need to get more and give up less. We gave ourselves the opportunity to win early, but didn’t follow through during the swing matches. We will get back to work tomorrow and prep for Saturday.” – head coach Joe Favia
- The 40th annual Matman Invitational awaits Stevens Saturday. Six teams ranked in the NWCA Top 25 are scheduled to be at the prestigious event, hosted by Cornell College.
- Live stats and video links available at StevensDucks.com
Facebook: “Like” Stevens Athletics